Cadence Formula?



A Quick note before I get into today’s post: It was a super exciting time for me last year when I decided to launch this blog. I had some good content and a bit of time to create more. Then, I started what I thought was just another post about my training experiences: When the Training run becomes the longest run. Well, it’s become the longest post. Between that, holidays and sort of ‘off-season’ of running, I got a bit bogged down. Anyhow, I will try to create some regular additions as I embark on the next training cycle. Today I’m going to write about Cadence.

Cadence 

In a previous post I mention that I never learned to run. Realizing that, and attempting to finish distance runs I have a new interest in my own technique. I have wanted to get some video as I know video analysis can be quite eye opening. In the meantime I am trying to focus on the principles I call NOBLE running form, and Cadence.

Generally I am trying to move efficiently, knowing each efficient stride saves energy for the next, creating an exponential effect over a dozen miles. Trying to keep a forward lean, middle/front foot strikes and being mindful of leg angles are the mechanical aspects. In addition monitoring my bounce and arm swing help reduce stress on my body.

Since it is hard, if not impossible to focus on more than one or two things at once, I use the NOBLE acronym while running to reign in my ‘lazy body’ as I call it. You know, that type of run you fall into when you’re jamming out to your tunes or daydreaming about work. If I feel myself getting too ‘loose’ I just say NOBLE in my head.

My primary focus during the upswing of my early season training is increasing my overall cadence. It is said 180 is about the ideal cadence. In order to increase mine, I listen to up tempo music, and/or keep a tempo/ 8-count in my head. This comes from music also, sort of like counting measures.

So, as I warm up and throughout my run I am not always able to maintain this. I live in the mountains, and winter running can be challenging (last week, mid-April gave us another foot of snow). So, my cardiovascular system is not quite up to speed. When I sense myself lagging in cadence, or consistently sloppy in form, I walk.

This is a bit of a challenge as I have been a ‘runner’ for 5-6 years now. However, by many measures I would NOT be considered a runner. I am certainly no elite. I am learning though that even elite mountain runners likely walk more than I had thought. The reality is: Even with stints of walking, my miles are competitively fast to trying to ‘push’ a certain pace through.

This is also likely better than trying to keep my heart rate toward the high end of its range. The latest thinking shows that long stints of moderate heart rate increase with short bursts of intensity (40-60 seconds) may be the healthiest way to train. For me, this means on my regular, flat runs I run with a higher (160+) cadence until I feel myself gasping for breath. Then I walk until I regain my breath or I generally feel a bit recovered and repeat.

Me, at the start of a 50k... still getting dressed


For ‘top end’ speed or VO2 type training I try to run sprints/hills once or twice a week. I have not been consistent at this over my off/early running seasons. I believe when I incorporate this again I will have a notable increase in my ability to sustain cadence. I have read that an average runner should expect 1-2 months of cardiovascular adjustment when increasing cadence. I began to incorporate these concepts late last fall/winter so I believe I am ‘getting there’ a bit faster.

In pondering all of this (as I typically think voraciously on my runs), I asked myself if anyone has taken a biomechanical/bioengineering look at optimal cadence. It seems that Jack Daniels observed 180 as an ideal cadence and all subsequent observations have sought to confirm or deny this. I ask why is this ideal (or 160-200 being the range)?

Cadence Formula?
It seems to me averages ignore or erase outliers. We observe that humans frequently have similar proportions, to the extent we create rules of thumb (eyes are spaced an eye width apart, your foot is about as long as your radius/ulna). So, can we examine these length ratios (legs to upper body etc), in conjunction with stride angles and other aspects of form; in order to determine an individual’s ideal cadence?

If we could create a cadence formula, it could then be optimized for different terrain (generally flat, up, down, possibly with incline thresholds). At the elite level this could have game changing implications for speed and distance as runners are made more efficient and create purposeful race strategies with specific tactics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Occam’s Protocol

Confessions of a runner: I never learned to run! (NOBLE Running form)