What if you’re not ALWAYS motivated???

What if you’re not ALWAYS motivated???

I just read this:

FollowingFollowing @ameliaboone
More
I currently run 5 days a week. I still get giddy every night before bed knowing that I get to run the next morning, and I hope to never lose that feeling. #gratitude


Within the replies, of course, were folks who shared the feeling, or wished they could. Injury is a common theme, and an issue for me currently. I am also intrigued by the fact that Amelia, and some of her followers were (like myself) not runners in the traditional sense.

I enjoy the peaks, the sights and terrain. The bulk of work required to make safe and easy passage to extreme and incredible landscapes? Let’s just say it’s not always easy. Anyone who has trained for a marathon or an ultra can identify with bad weather, early mornings. Full schedules and kids only further complicate things.

Herein lies part of my paradox: The busier I am, the more I need this structure. Regular exercise and self-care help me perform better in all aspect of life. Without proper motivation however, it won’t get done. A Major Key to my motivational strategy is: goalsetting.

I have never really been competitive in athletics. Beating someone else I don’t know anything about, or bragging about a record isn’t my style. When I run a ‘race’ it’s usually for completion, or a personal (mid-pack anyone?) goal.

Choosing a race is what establishes my goal.

This serves multiple functions:

1.     Gives me a Distance goal
2.     Gives me a Deadline for achieving that goal
3.     Helps me to Create a time goal
4.     Forces me to Create a training plan
5.     Forces me to Execute my plan

Again, I am intrinsically motivated. Quitting, giving up, or DNS is NOT an option (I have been fortunate physically. Injuries bite!). Without a ‘looming deadline’ I find it much easier to procrastinate. I can always run tomorrow: Unless I ‘need the miles’ this week.


Therein lies the strength of the training plan. I’ve often used general mile per week goals, and would schedule dates for long runs in advance. Sometimes weekly, or long runs would be measured in hours instead. I have been experimenting with various training methods, and the specific structure doesn’t seem to matter. The act of creating the structure involves me in the goal and makes it real. The dedication to the goal keeps me involved in building the foundations I need to achieve it (including scrapping/revamping stages of a plan due to injury like I am now).


What to do when you’re #NotAlwaysMotivated ? Keep your eyes on a prize (for yourself, no one else). Play the long game. Be persistent. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Occam’s Protocol

Confessions of a runner: I never learned to run! (NOBLE Running form)

Alternative Training